Sunday, August 06, 2017

Kimi No Na Wa (Your Name)

New review format.  Also going to be slightly more generous with my positive ratings and also harsher with my negative ratings.

Genre: Romance, Supernatural

Summary:
Mitsuha is a girl living in the small village of Itomori.  Although she is the daughter of the mayor and a shrine maiden, Mitsuha is bored with her life and longs to visit a big city, like Tokyo.  Taki is a boy living in Tokyo.  He works in an Italian restaurant and has a crush on one of his co-workers.  Taki aspires to be an architect when he grows up.

One day, Mitsuha finds herself in a dream where she has swapped bodies with Taki.  After leaving questions and notes in each other's phones, they dramatically impact their lives in search of an explanation to this mysterious phenomenon.

Review:
Introductory Notes:
Kimi No Na Wa, a.k.a Your Name, is the first anime movie I've watched that isn't part of a series(like the Naruto movies), and I'm happy to tell you that this movie was really great.  I wouldn't say it was the best thing I've ever watched, but it definitely deserves all the hype it got.  Yeah, I'm really late to this movie, the hype's already died. :(.

Story: 9/10
The story was excellent.  It was entertaining watching them help each other with their lives, and the plot-twists were big and surprising.  The story began simple, kind of like a 'slice of life' anime with a supernatural twist.  But as the story progressed, it became deeper and more mysterious, and got slightly confusing at times.  The story wasn't completely without plot-holes, but it was still very enjoyable.  I would of liked it if the ending had a bit more content, but I think the movie ended perfectly anyway.

Characters: 8/10
The characters, at first, seemed a bit plain.  Mitsuha was a girl who disliked living in a small, boring village and Taki was a generic high school guy.  But you eventually realize that there's a lot more to the characters, especially when they switch bodies.  Of course since this is a movie, you won't know the characters that well, but the characters are still enjoyable (even the side characters!).

Art: 10/10
The movie's animation was absurdly amazing.  The scenes depicting the comet took my breath away, they were so beautiful.  Amazing is like the only word I have to describe the animation, it was that good.
The story was set in two different locations, Tokyo and Itomori.  Both were depicted beautifully, the sun reflecting off of Tokyo's buildings, and the beautiful 'underworld' place as well as nature in Itomori.  The art was just really good.

Sound: 9/10
None of the music seemed out of place at all, and the voice acting seemed to suit the characters unexpectedly well.  Although the english dubbed version of the movie sounds bad, then again, what anime actually has proper english dubbing XD.

Conclusion:
Final Notes:
Wonderful story and absurdly beautiful animations.  There isn't really anything bad about this anime!  The only reason why it isn't 10/10 is because the story didn't resonate strongly enough with me to make me cry or wasn't funny enough to make me laugh my stomach out.  Many other viewers of this movie cried, but not me.  Still one of the best anime I've watched, and it's not like a lot of anime make me cry anyway.
Overall Rating: 9/10

Other Information:
Source: Original
Story by: Makoto Shinkai
Length: 1 hr, 46 min
Rating: Pg-13
Info from MyAnimeList

2 comments:

  1. ooh my brother watched this movie!! He then spent 30 mins explaining what happened even tho i didn't care. But it sounded really good.

    ReplyDelete