Thursday, July 27, 2017

Generation One (Book 1, Lorien Legacies Reborn)

Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Adventure, Superpower

Summary:
Have you read the Lorien Legacies?  Well Lorien Legacies Reborn is a sequel series to those.  After the events of the Mogadorian invasion on Earth, and numerous Earthling teenagers developing legacies(dubbed Earth Garde), an Academy is being built in the United States to keep the Earth Garde safe and teach them how to control their new found abilities.  Kopano, from Lagos, Nigeria, is enthusiastic about his powers and can't wait to go to the Academy and use his powers to help the world.  Taylor, from South Dakota, US, just wants a normal and ordinary life and wishes her Legacies never came to her.  But the world is changing, and if the Academy doesn't find you, someone else will.

What I liked:
I was super excited when I realized this was a sequel to the Lorien Legacies series, one of my favourites.  This was quite an interesting book.  Like the first book in the Lorien Legacies(aka I am Number Four series), this whole book felt like a prologue or introduction to the main series.  That doesn't mean it was boring or bad.  Each of the character's personalities were very well written.  Although I didn't like every single one of the main characters, I felt like they were diverse and interesting in their own ways.  The book switched POVs every chapter, going through one of the six main characters: Kopano, Taylor, Nigel, Ran, Caleb and Isabel.  After the book I felt like I knew each of the characters well.
The book wasn't action packed the whole way through.  Like I am Number Four, there were many times when the book took time to explain issues going on in the world, how Legacies worked and to address each of the character's personal problems.  I know I'm repeating, but I really enjoyed the personalities of the characters.  Now that the first book has you knowing all of the characters and the situation the series is based upon, the other books can be more exciting and action-packed.  But this book was definitely very interesting and still had a decent amount of action, another great quality about this book.

What I disliked:
John only appeared once.  And Professor Nine is held back by his prosthetic limb.  And nobody else from the original Loric appeared, besides Lexa, and she only got like two sentences.  Not even dialogue.
:(
I didn't really dislike any aspects of the book, and if I did it was usually a character who annoyed me. However, the book was kind of slow at some parts, but I felt interested enough that it didn't bother me.  Oh and another thing.  I was looking forward to see some more interesting Legacies, but not many of the Legacies in the book really stood out to me, besides Shapeshifting.  And Knowledge-sharing, but that guy wasn't really in the book much.

Additional Notes:
Read the Lorien Legacies first.  I don't think it would matter much either way, since this book doesn't really give spoilers, but you should just do it anyway.  The Lorien Legacies is an excellent series about alien teenagers with Legacies fighting off the Mogadorians - really cool stuff.

Final Remarks:
You should read this book if you read the Lorien Legacies and are itching for some more Lorien action.  You can read this without reading the Lorien Legacies, but I recommend reading those first just for some backstory knowledge.  I liked this book.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment