Sunday, July 30, 2017

Psycho-Pass

Genre: Psychological, Mystery

Summary:
Japan is ruled by a completely impartial and automated system called the Sibyl System.  The Sibyl System can foretell your talents and flaws, and decide for you what kind of lifestyle you should live.  The Sibyl System can also determine your potential as a criminal, called your Crime Coefficient or Psycho-Pass.  Some people with high crime coefficients are assigned jobs as Enforcers and work under the careful supervision of Inspectors.  Inspectors and Enforcers work to keep society safe and capture people with high crime coefficients.  The story follows Inspector Akane Tsunemori, the newest inspector to join the force.  Akane and her colleagues work together to uncover the mystery of multiple different serial killings, seemingly having connections with each other.  And what is the Sibyl System, really?

What I liked:
Psycho-Pass is an excellent anime.  I love how it deals with human ideas on a seemingly utopian society, and whether a life that has been practically decided for you every step of the way is the way someone should live.  It has many interesting philosophies, and I love philosophies.
Another thing I liked about this anime is it's mystery factor.  It's quite interesting watching the characters figure out who a killer is, or what their plan is.  There wasn't that much mystery most of the time, but when there was it built suspense and I couldn't stop watching.
The characters were also interesting.  They had backstories that helped you understand the character better, and each of them had a different way of thinking.  The character, especially the main character, changes throughout the anime as different events unfold, and she becomes less naive and more resilient, but she still holds some of her ideals close to heart.
Anyways, I thought this was a great anime.  It had an interesting storyline, although it was slow at some parts, and has lots of thought provoking ideas.
Season two of the anime was especially good.  It had a lot of mystery in it, and it managed to tie up all of the problems described quite nicely.  The ending was very exciting and interesting, and I definitely recommend this anime.

What I disliked:
The anime was a lot more gory than I would've expected.  The main weapons in the series, called Dominators, would blow a person to bits and pieces, and most of the time blood would splatter everywhere.  The first few episodes of the anime definitely got straight into action, but some parts were somewhat slow moving.

Music:
I liked almost every song that was played in this anime.  OP 1 was 'Abnormalize' by TK from Ling Tosite Sigure.  OP 2 was 'Out of Control' by Nothing's Carved in Stone.  The music was nice, but I didn't like the singing, which was in English.  OP 3 was 'Enigmatic Feeling', also by Ling Tosite Sigure.  They're pretty similar and I liked this one too.  I'm no expert on music, but these themes were very upbeat and exciting, while also giving off a ghostly feeling.  The three EDs were all EGOIST songs, and up till now I hadn't truly appreciated EGOIST's music.  I'd liked 'My Dearest' from Guilty Crown, but I hadn't paid EGOIST much attention till now. I loved all three of the EDs, 'Namae no nai Kaibutsu', 'All Alone with You' and 'Fallen'.
Frequently throughout the anime I heard music by Beethoven and stuff.  I think I heard Ode to Joy when somebody was dying.

Graphics:
Loved the Dominator animations.  It had pretty decent graphics I guess.

Conclusion:
Watch the anime it's good.  Especially season 2.


Rating: 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment